Tuesday 24 November 2015

Stripped naked for all to see


Photographic Quiz.

Photo number:- 217???

 
Question:-  Why did a few of Godiva race walkers visit this pub annually some years ago?

Dear Blog,

                 I always have considered myself to be broad minded. But last Sunday, in the club changing rooms I was shocked. Absolutely flabbergasted. I just could not believe it.

               I was alone in the changing rooms, just having had a shower and I was towelling myself dry when in comes this lad of about 12 or 13 I would guess, and he starts to get undressed. Well. Something I have never experienced before in my 50 plus years in the sport of using changing rooms. Blog I kid you not, I was dumb founded .....

                Many years ago, very many years ago wen I were summat ov a lad an ad started runnin  like wi them Bingley Arriers, we allus travelled to races in ordinary clothes and got changed at the race venues which always had changing rooms of varying quality, but changing rooms there were, which everyone used. It was expected that such facilities would be provided as a matter of course. After a race whether it be a road, cross country or track event, the facilities were used and all competitors showered and changed together. All the blokes were starkers and no one gave it a second thought as we had been brought up at school to shower after sport as a matter of habit. Unlike today

               I suppose all this washing and changing business changed with the jogging boom and all your comprehensibles started taking part in jogging where it was the taking part that counted and not the winning....... People started talking about 'doing' a race, not 'racing'. You pays lots of your quids, you amble about a bit with many others and you gets your medal and you gets your bit of ribbon and you gets your goody bag [what a horrid word that is] and you go home for a wash.

              Today showers are rarely available after a race, and when they are, hardly anyone besides myself seems to use them. Runners of both sexes travel home in kit, presumably to shower and change there?? It is the same at my running club. Few athletes bother to shower after training. And the few that do ...... well Blog, what can I say ... the few that do, strip off and then cover themselves with a towel to walk to the showers. Is it me Blog, or is it me? And the blokes don't wrap a towel just around the lower half of their body, oh no! They have a massive towel to hide all of themselves in. Only a couple of us seem to prance around stark naked on the way to and from the shower.

           So you can understand Blog, why I was gobsmacked [what a horrid word that is] last Sunday in the changing rooms at my running club when this kid waltzes in and starts to disrobe, if you will forgive the expression. Off comes his track suit top, then his tee shirt then his running vest then his tracksuit bottoms then his shorts then his pants then his socks. And what does he do next Blog. You might well ask. You will never ever believe what I am about to reveal to you Blog. Well it was embarrassing I can tell you Blog. Yes I will. Shocked I was. He then, Blog I kid you not, then, he started carefully to turn his socks inside out then he turned his pants inside out then he turned his shorts inside out then he turned his tracksuit bottoms inside out (no joke Blog) then he turned his vest inside out  then he turned his tee shirt inside out and finally he did the same with his tracksuit top as well!!! And guess what he did then Blog? Yes, you are quite correct. He started to put his socks back on, then he put his pants back on, then he put his shorts back on and then he got into his tracksuit bottoms followed by putting his vest back on, then his tee shirt then he got into his tracksuit top, all still inside out, and then he buggered off out of the changing rooms' door. Is that as hygienic as showering I asked myself Blog .... I could not answer myself as there is obviously two sides to this question.

                                                                                  Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment