Monday 7 March 2011

Poetry, Poetry, Poet Me in Motion

Picture Quiz:
Photo no 5:-
Running around a lake in a relay for Durham University. Will I take a dip in this lake after the London Marathon?

Tiny Tim’s Children’s Centre and Newlife. (£1 per guess at my finishing time in the London Marathon if you wish to win my medal, my t-shirt, etc. but just donate if you just wish to give)

Dear Blog.

Distraught, devastated ....’To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield’ ... From your superior educated background you will have immediately recognised the quotation from Tennyson’s Ulysses. It has just been announced in the media that these words will be inscribed along the wall at the entrance to the Olympic Athlete’s Village in 2112. Bewildered. My own little ditty was not even considered, even for inscription on a wall inside the village. Bemused. The panel making the final decision, only had 360 submissions. Frustrated. 360 submissions and I didn’t make it. Why? To me it smacks a little of favouritism. But I hold no grudge. I am mature enough to take rejection without any feelings animosity. Bastards. I must confess, however, that I was tempted to quote a few words from Joyce’s version but I will restrain myself and remain dignified in my disappointment. *!$*?!.  It is of no consolation that neither Billy nor Sammy made it either (with or without chemical assistance). I will not be deterred. I shall give you my own little ditty and you can judge for yourself the degree to which my rejection was a mistake. I feel my small offering illustrates the emotions of a race succinctly with no unnecessary flowery embellishments. Indeed, the kind of poem selected for future examination study in a selected anthology of poetry, don’t you agree?
A poem by Colin:-
Racing fast,
Mile posts passed
Have no fear
Not near the rear.
Running slow
What a blow.
All gone passed
Finished last!
The race ends so
With blooded toe,
A blistered foot
And an aching gut!
I tend to write in the kirkameter as I feel it reflects the influence of the concrete kerb and the tar macadam road which do so much to lighten my trudging.
                Yours in the groove, Colin
PS If you so much as titter on when you observe Thursday, my dear Blog, you will be charged double for each guess ... the things I do for you!
Tiny Tim’s Children’s Centre and Newlife. (£1 per guess at my finishing time in the London Marathon if you wish to win my medal, my t-shirt, etc. but just donate if you just wish to give)


No comments:

Post a Comment