Monday 5 September 2011

Road Runner

Dear Blog,
                I went over to Kenilworth yesterday and trudged around part of the Kenilworth Half Marathon course while my daughter ran. The swallows were out in force despite the rainy conditions. As I trudged, I thought about the habits of the migratory birds. Without exception, house martins used to turn up to start nesting in the second week in May while I was working in my last job. Without fail for 25 years. As regular as clockwork. I don't know how usual it is,, as they stick to the same routine. For a week in April, they both take an early morning stroll together down our driveway, always in the same direction; occasionally they stop for a bit of a peck. They then disappear for a month; then one of the birds returns for three or four days feeding on the drive with a string of chicks in tow, as much as to say, 'what do you think of the family, eh Trudger matey?'. I am waiting now for the final part of the yearly ritual ... the pair turn up for three or four days for a similar stroll to their walk in the spring, then they disappear for the year!!
                  Bit like training really. You get keen in the spring, do a couple of races in the summer and retire for the winter. Or so they tell me.
                                                 Colin
In case you were wondering Blog, my daughter won the Ladies race ... she promises to buy me a pair of trudging shoes with her prize .... hang on a minute, a pig has just flown past the window ... and another one ... and another.

No comments:

Post a Comment