Wednesday 30 November 2011

999

Photograph Quiz:
Photo no. 63:- What is special about this cycling badge? What is the connection with Coventry Godiva Harriers? When did the club start? When did the club fold? Which club official died this week?
Oh Boy, Blog,
    What a day Monday was. I usually get up about 6:30am as body alarm goes off. Years of early rising for a first session has become second nature. As kids we all got up early because dad left for work before 7am, the industrial Yorkshire routine. On Monday, the electric radio cum alarm clock was blank. Not a peep. Another power cut. So what, you ask, Blog. We have a break in power transmission about four or five times per year; a consequence of living in the country being served by an overhead cable supply. Thank you, Mr Lets Make Another Million Quids power man for that reassurance. Electric off, no power, ergo no heat. Stay in bed …. A trudge without a shower to return to in the freezing cold. Am I called Stupid, with a capital ‘S’ or am I called sensible with a capital ‘S’? Stay in bed, you have to be joking Blog. BANG. BANG. To prevent the back door being kicked down, I got up. The nice gentleman from the power supply company told me that the power lines had been stolen during the night and it would take all day to erect new ones!! Over 400m of overhead cable had been nicked. 400m! I kid you not, Blog. The police arrived and the pole men started. The police left. The gentleman from the farm next door arrived. He had been burgled, could he use our phone?? He phones the police. Then he phoned the local newspaper because amongst the gear stolen was a box which contained his wife’s ashes. The police arrived and the gentleman from next door left with them to show them the damage etc.. The police left. The newsman arrived, took notes and photographs which headlined the front page of Tuesday’s paper. Would I lie to you Blog? Shivered through to 3pm and then went for a short trudge to warm up. Up the lane the police had stopped a white van man. An hour later, they were still with the white van man as I returned. Good news. The men from the power company had packed up; they knew I was due back so had put the power back on for me to shower, my wife had told them that I was in a delicate state of health and would suffer if I could not cleanse my body. Hardly had I finished stretching the old body here and there when two police cars screamed up the Lane…. I bet the local newspaper report made the national press on Tuesday. If you get a red top Blog, just check and let me know, please.
Today has been so boring, only relieved my 70 minute trudge on the grass in the country side.
                     Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment