Wednesday 16 November 2011

Marathon Training Advice no. 9.

Well Blog, did you crack the quiz?????????????????? Because I feel so generous I will tell you the next line. It is
3112
But why? What is the next line??? And the next???
When I was teaching sums, one of my pupils (politically correct .. students!!) brought in this little problem for me. I was a sums teacher so I obviously knew the answer … it goes with the job! Ask any pupil. (politically correct .. student!!) It transpired that dad had sent the problem in as it was part of some national pub quiz that had taken place the previous night and no one had been able to give the correct answer. Would I solve it please. Now usually when this sort of thing happened, I had seen the question or one similar at some time or other. But this one I had not seen before. We got on with the lesson with the promise that I would do it for him at lunch time and if he came to see me before he went home I would give dad the correct solution. Part of my job was to teach hard sums to Oxbridge candidates who wanted to do even harder sums amid the dreaming spires. Some scholarship stuff was a bit taxing and if I was a bit slow on the uptake, I found that my lunchtime running session, usually a fast, flat outish 6 miles, was enough for a subconscious solution to appear. No conscious effort. It just happened. An almost fool proof method of coping with the hard stuff. The pub quiz took about 400m to solve, which was a bit below average, I have to admit. Home time came and the solution was dispatched home with the pupil (politically correct .. student!!). I was a bit pissed off when the said pupil was waiting for me at registration next morning with an envelope. I expected another pub question .. and sure enough the little ******* handed me the envelope from his dad. There was a note inside … a £20 note!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I kid you not, Blog. So what was my percentage?? What was I worth?? Also enclosed was a thank you note from dad for the solution, the money was a part of his winnings!!!! Can you believe that Blog? BUT WAIT. There is more. On my run home that night I got to thinking about the sequence of numbers. By the time I had finished the training session and arrived home, I had extended the series, found a new idea and mentally written an article for a Mathematics Publication about the strange properties the numbers offered. I got very many quids for the article and even more quids for an extension of the idea from a different publication. Since then the whole number system has been extended further, but I have been too idle to do anything with it …. I mentioned it to you many months ago if you remember Blog. So you want details … well I started off steady from school, down the lane, over the footbridge next to the ford, past the derelict school house and through Packington Estate, which is the private country estate of Lord Alyesford and from whom I had been given permission to use his land to and from school. And a privilege it was. Morning it was Me, the Mist, the Deer, the Game Birds and No One Else. That Blog, you just cannot buy. No how! From the Maxstoke Gate entrance, I used to do fast ~ slow on the climb up to the transmitter pylons on Fillongly top. An extra hard effort was always made past the old oak where Wesley is supposed to have preached. It was my personal thank you for the time I spent in his chapel Sunday School. Down the country lanes towards home was fast but easy quality. Birmingham to Coventry, no traffic, no body, no problem. Can you believe that Blog. I kid you not.
Now Blog, did you see on television the advertisement for a hospital programme which was to discuss insomnia? Might make an effort to view that. It is an interesting subject because I think it is another of those topics that the medical profession (read society) has got so wrong. If you use trudging as your framework, a whole new perspective is opened up …… I’ll drop you a note on it Blog, Keep you curious or what? Bore the pants off you or what?? That as they say is the sixty three thousand dollar question!!
                                          Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment