Wednesday 1 February 2012

PAIN. P - A - I - N with a capital 'P'.

Well now Blog,
                         I thought I was going to have to miss a trudge today. I really thought that I was going to have to break my sequence of trudges. It was touch and go I can tell you. How come, you ask me. Well, as I sprang out of bed this morning, having put on my vest, underpants, shirt, tie, jumpers, trousers while still underneath the covers so I could keep warm and didn’t get cold … it was well below freezing outside and about two degrees lower in our bedroom … when it happened. The pain. THE PAIN. I always put my socks on when I have got out of bed as I feel it is rather slovenly to put them on while still in bed under the covers … so I sprang out of bed and landed on a wasp. A WASP. February and I land on a wasp. I was not very pleased I can tell you. The wasp was not too happy either. The little blighter stung me on the underside of my foot. Wasp sting in February. THE PAIN. I shouted to my wife who was downstairs washing my breakfast dishes … I do so love breakfast in bed, don’t you Blog, although I do get a bit upset when my runny egg drips onto my pyjamas, especially on a Monday when it is six days before they are washed again. I don’t mind porridge, if it has plenty of sugar on. But runny egg. It does stick so. Still, if you get a bit peckish during the night, it does give you something to stave off the hunger pangs. The toast crumbs can be a nuisance after a couple of days as well. Back to the PAIN. I shouted louder and she did enquire if I was ever getting up. I told her .. THE PAIN. She asked me if I knew where the wasp had come from. I said that I didn’t have time to ask it before it was crushed beneath my foot; but I could have been a local wasp. Where did it come from, with me in PAIN. IN REAL PAIN. My foot was starting to swell. I demanded of her what she do if I lapsed into a coma. She said that she doubted if she would notice if I was in a coma; I always look as if I’m in a coma! What about that ‘in sickness and in health’ business I said. I do so hate these clever Dicks, don’t you Blog. She asked if it was Dozy. I said I didn’t care if it was Dave Dee, Beaky, Mick or Titch. Mocking the afflicted is not P.C.. And I told her. I said to go get the wasp cream before it was too late. She said ‘Why, is it still alive?’ Oh very funny! Anyway she got the cream but I had to unscrew the cap myself and apply it. I questioned if I was going to fit my foot into my slipper. I hobbled downstairs to the kitchen for a sustaining coffee and a couple more pieces of toast; I though the extra carbohydrate would help build up my resistance against the sting. Luckily I had not returned the crutches to the hospital after I had my accident with the car while on my bike a couple of years ago. I got to the easy chair in the living room without too much difficulty.
By lunch, my foot had not totally disappeared beneath the swelling so I forced it into my trainers. I got into my trudging gear. In the afternoon, the annual King Henry VIII Cross Country Relays were taking place at the Coventry War Memorial Park and Ron Hill had been invited as chief guest to present the prizes. I drove down to see him. My wife came with me as a precaution in case I passed out with the PAIN. When I saw Ron, I didn’t tell him about my wasp sting and PAIN straight away. I waited until we had finished shaking hands. He was most sympathetic. He said the way I was coping with the pain was commendable. He said that I was hardly showing any discomfort in my face from the pain. I told him that I was good at coping in such difficult circumstances. When Dave Moorcroft joined us, he was similarly considerate. We did have our photograph taken together. I think I was able to muster a smile. I don’t think I spoiled the photo by allowing my pain to show too much. Unfortunately, Ron had a day return train ticket to Stockport, so was unable to join me and my wife at our mansion for our evening meal. Pity. Why should I be the only one to suffer my wife’s cooking? Life is sometimes so unfair.
                                                Colin
PS I assume you know Blog, that Dave Moorcroft is the former World Record holder for 5000m and like Ron, an Olympian. Ron Hill is the former European and Commonwealth marathon champion. I am well known for my trudging style.

No comments:

Post a Comment