Thursday 29 March 2012

Runners' World


            Dear Blog, as you have been moaning so much about these photo quiz thingamegigs, I thought I’d give you a few answers, because the ones you have tried to answer have been pretty grim. Grim with a capital ‘G’. So to start with ……
‘Photo no. 50:- A cutting from yesterday’s local paper. Who is it and why is it causing so much family friction?’
Well, I actually did give you the answer to this quiz Blog. And I did split an infinitive. It was my elder daughter and I explained why I was so wracked off at the time. Can’t remember? …. Look at your ‘old letters from me’ file!!!!!!!!!!!! I said she bugged me. What I didn’t say at the time was what else really bugged me about my elder daughter. Really, really, really bugged me. And it has done for a number of years. And I cannot do a thing about it. Not then, not now, not in the future. The thing is, she gets more birthday cards THAN ME. More cards. Every year. Every single year. When she was small it was even worse. She got all the attention as well. Oh yes they would send her a card and not me. Oh no. I knew it would happen. I said to her mother at the time. Watch out, this is a recipe for family strife. And was I right or was I right. I asked her mother what was she thinking about at the time? What indeed? She could have waited a day. Or gone for a run or something to speed things up. But no. Oh no. She knew best. Would she listen to me? Heed my advice? She had to do it didn’t she? No consideration for me. Oh no. None at all. I’ll tell you Blog, that is definitely the last time, the very last time that I am going to allow a child of mine to be born on my birthday. I want to be the centre of attention, please. Sharing birthdays is not the way to achieve this.
My chest? I thought you would never ask. Well it has to be said that it has improved. I am still unable to lie flat on my back. If I do, I am like a stranded big black beetle, legs and arms flailing in the air, going nowhere. I am still sleeping upright in a chair!!!!!!!!!!!! Sneezing is still agony, coughing ditto. But this morning, a week to the minute after my terrible accident, I again went to the Warwick University Track. I shot round four laps and then walked back to the car. Sorry, that should read ‘I got round four laps of the track and then walked back to the car.’
Session:- Started with a 50m shuffle, had a walk, then did 55m and had a walk. I increased the length of the shuffle gradually all the way up to 60m. I then had to stop as the attendant came out and asked me to finish my shuffling as it was time for her to lock up for the night. They say that big oaks from little acorns grow if the squirrel forgets where he has buried his nuts, so watch out Blog, Kirkham is on the way back. Nuts and all. Back with a capital ‘B’.
                                                        Colin
Fact:- I was the first person in this country to have the compartment syndrome operation performed on my leg. Or anybody’s leg. And why me I hear you cry, Blog. And the answer comes back ….Why not? Why not indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment