Sunday 16 June 2013

Sudbury Hall

Photograph Quiz.

Photo no 151:- Why was eleven times world record holder Alf Shrubb in Coventry in 1959. Who did he stay with in Coventry for a couple of days before he returned to his adopted home in Canada?
Dear Blog,
               It is my granddaughter’s birthday today and as a treat she wanted to visit a stately home! I said she could come to visit me but she said she preferred something bigger in the National Trust stakes. I said to her that I wanted my present back as I found that comment deeply upsetting but she said she had hidden it so there!! We spent the day at Sudbury Hall. Why there? Well I am not into this ancestor business but having gone round the stately pile the family visited the local church which was on the estate built about a hundred yards (90 metres Blog) from the Hall. In the graveyard with a rather impressive stone was the grave of my maternal great granddad!!! He lead the funeral cortege of the 6th Duke, or Earl or whoever. I always felt I was superior to the pheasantry I come into contact with every day; confirmed my suspicions. I shall expect the yokels from the village to greet me with a ‘Sir’ when they speak to me in future, a touch of the fetlocks would not come amiss.
   Now my daughter, who is into this ancestor business, tells me that my great grand poppy left a few quids when he tied up his running shoes for the last time. So I said to her as we paid our respects at the graveside, ‘Why are you standing around here wasting time. Find out where my quids have gone. And why aren’t I drawing my daily allowance for the House of Lords. With a few of those quids, I could pay someone to do this daily trudging lark for me. Get a move on girl. Sort it.’
   She said she would see what she could do.
                          Colin
P.S. I am not kidding you Blog, but if you want a day out go to visit Sudbury Hall. Excellent for all the family. Free car parking, free entry to the extensive grounds with plenty for the kids to do including a workshop about the wild life (free). And the ‘Childhood Museum’ is brilliant … never mind the kids, the older you are Blog, the better to reminisce!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment