Saturday 28 July 2012

The London Olympic Opening Ceromony

 Dear Blog,
            I managed to find someone with a television set (in colour as welll) so I could watch the Olympic opening ceremony. I expected at least one friend to ask me round but I suppose that they all thought that one of my other friends had already asked me and did not wish to cause embarrassment by having me to make a choice between my different friends. I think the ones I visited were a little surprised when I turned up unannounced at 8:30 in good time to settle in one of their comfortable chairs. It took them ages to answer the door. In fact I was beginning to wonder if they were out. It was only when I climbed the fence and went round the back that I understood why they hadn’t heard me. Both John, his wife and two children were on the kitchen floor. I could hardly see them. They all must have been searching for something they had dropped on the floor. I think they enjoyed my company however, because they kept asking me if I was OK once I had settled and would I be alright finding my way home in the dark. Nice of them to worry but I said that I thought I would be fine. As it was only 8:40 and still light I thought their fore thought rather touching. I did think they were about to ask me to stay on one occasion when they woke me up and remarked how late it was getting. I must have nodded off, all the trudging you know. It was still only 8:55 but the little nap did set me up for the rest of the night. I am not one to complain but it was some time before they asked me if I would like a drink of coffee; I did suggest that a biscuit or three would be nice as well. They asked if I would be quite happy with three so I said that if they were making a sandwich, it would be impolite of me to refuse. I think they put too much mustard on the cold sausage sandwich but I didn’t like to say. I think they suspected however because they were quite worried about how much I was coughing and with my eyes watering so, I must have looked a proper sight. Anyways, I don’t want to bore you with all this Blog, but I am sure you get the picture. I found the ceremony rather long on the whole, I don’t know about you Blog. And all that Beetle stuff was a bit OTT. A bit of Adam Ant would have lightened things up I feel. Not very nice having to remove the grass when all those animals had been cooped up for so long. A bit unhealthy. I won’t say any more but I am sure you get my drift Blog. And all that smoke from those chimneys. I thought that part of London was a smokeless zone? Quite illegal I would have thought. Bit of bad organisation on the part of Mr Danny Boy? And not very healthy for the spectators either. Not very nice for them when they had paid all that money for the tickets. I think that Prince Phillip might have had second thoughts about having had to have had to spend so much of his pension on his night out when the smoke drifted his way; him not long out of hospital. Can’t be too careful. But with all those hospital beds, he must have felt reassured, a home from home? I don’t know what Her Majesty must have thought either. I think when the cameras panned across to her just before the Oath, she looked quite peaky. Mind you abseiling down that rope at her age was a little silly, I thought. It was quite a chilly night after the early rain. The rope must have been rather slippery. What her advisers were doing to allow her to do that is beyond me. All in all with hindsight, I think I would have preferred watching a good film with my friends. A James Bond film, would have been nice? On Her Majesty’s Secret Service?
                                                           Colin        

No comments:

Post a Comment