Friday 30 November 2012

'New Year 5', Coventry 2013 or 2012?

Dear Blog,
           Do you ever think that you are the only person in the universe who appreciates the subtleties of life? You feel that somehow no one else sees the point. You wonder why they ‘don’t get it’. And of course, then that little bit of doubt starts to creep in. Is it me or is it them? The doubt grows. If I am the only one to realise the finesse of my own brilliance, then I am wrong. No I am not. It’s them Blog. It has to be. Just has to be!!! No doubt.
Consider a case in point. For a number of years I organised a series of running races, up to 4 each year. I liked to try to make each race a little different so that the runners felt that they had taken part in a well organised race, an enjoyable event for a cheap entry fee, and a finishing award which would be of some use, not just some tacky medal! I tried to get courses which were interesting or a date which had some significance; take for example, one 5 mile race which I instigated. It was organised on New Year’s Day, so I thought it might be appropriate to call it simply ‘The New Year Five’. I might be wrong, but I thought … New start to the New Year, New as it was a newly organised race on the calendar, Five because that reflected the distance ran; five miles. Something different to do on New Years Day; great start to the year if you want a serious race to begin a serious year; great start [in a different sense] to the New Year if you felt somewhat hung over. A different interpretation to the event to suit every taste, something for each individual. But the one I didn’t think of ………………  => A couple of years ago, when I decided to cease organising races, those that took over from me, decided to do things differently. OK. No problem with that. A new broom, as they say. But to have the ‘New Year 5’ on December 30th? Or January 2nd? To have ‘The New Year 5’ on any day but New Years Day seems to lose something in the translation? I thought the whole point of a New Years Day race was to have it on New Years Day, the clue being in the title? But I could be wrong? Let’s have Christmas Day tomorrow, or Easter yesterday? Probably the entire world is just taking the piss out of me? That’s alright I have very broad shoulders. So Blog, I feel that I am the only person in the universe who appreciates the subtleties of life. I feel that somehow no one else sees the point. Am I sad or am I sad?
So its me and you Blog. Sorry, that should be ‘it’s you and I Blog’.
                           Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment