Wednesday 24 July 2013

Old Godiva runners never die, they just trudge off into the sunset ...............

Dear Blog,
               Ever felt like banging your head against a brick wall . ….. I bore everyone with the fact that I have been researching the History of Coventry Godiva Harriers for the last decade. People purposely avoid me so they don’t get bored with my ramblings and when they do get trapped with no hope of escape, that faraway look. That glazed expression is all to evident. I think I told you that it was only a couple of years ago that my mother happened to mention in passing that my grandfather used to run for Wathe on Dearne. I had run for years, I had run in the Commonwealth Games, I had run in the European Games, I had run in the Olympic Games and no one in the family had ever thought to mention the fact that someone else in the family ran. It wasn’t that my mother was losing her marbles. He had!!! It was true!! And lo and behold today ….. an old lady (93 years old) and her husband (86 years old) whom I have known for forty years and my wife has known for longer, living across the road from them since childhood, just happen to mention that she USED TO RUN FOR GODIVVA!!!!!! She ran before the last war and stopped when she started a family ………….. so Blog, What will I be doing tomorrow??????????????????????????????? It really is enough to make you want to go out for a trudge!!
                                       Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment