Friday 5 June 2015

Sent to Coventry


Dear Blog,

               The moral of this tale Blog, is to advise you to avoid being sent to Coventry if you intend to do any serious historical research that might require extensive use of local archives with the caveat that access to unlimited finance means you may proceed, you may pass 'Go', you may collect £100 (200 euros to you Blog). The £100 is the very minimum you will need!

                I think I have mention in passing that I spend some little time researching 'The History of Coventry Godiva Harriers and Other Clubs in the City during the last 140 years', and have now expanded the investigation to include a comparative study of a northern club. In fact I think I have mentioned the fact many times, many, many times??

                Well, during the last eighteen months or so, not to mention many other places in the previous twenty years, I have visited ...

Sheffield library

Warwick University archives

Walthamstow archives

Keighley Public library, local studies department

Bedworth Library

Rugby local studies

Nuneaton library

Birmingham University Cadbury collection

Birmingham library

Sheffield University

Hinckley library

Much Wenlock Museum

 

The cost of accessing microfiche No Cost

                            The cost of using own camera to copy material No Cost

                                                                                               Cost of retrievals No Cost

                                                                                                                             Cost of photocopying  Nominal Cost of using micro fiche and computer to copy directly onto computer stick   No Cost

 

Coventry   Archives

Coventry Motor Museum

Cost of retrieval   £17:50  

                          Cost of using own camera £5 for daily licence then £1 per photo

                                                                                                         Cost of photocopying 40p

Cost of using micro fiche and computer to copy directly onto computer stick   No facility 

Now let me think ... when I am called to the starting line at that great running track in the sky, where do I deposit all my research papers? Where do I place all the photos, medals, memorabillia? Where do I keep my complete / incomplete 'History of Coventry Godiva Harriers and other athletic clubs in the city during the last 140 years'? Where do I place my comparative study?

After all, the work is centred on Coventry, is about Coventry, reflects the history of Coventry.

                                    Colin

P.S. In a couple of weeks time I will detail some more money matters in connection with the archives ... it is worth a wait because this you will not believe. All true. Would I lie to you Blog?

No comments:

Post a Comment