Monday 6 November 2017

It's Like Starting Over.................. again, again, again.


Photograph Quiz:-
                              Photo 1m.e.:-


Question:-
                What event would this be??? Where would this event have taken place???  When would this event have taken place?? Name the athletes in the picture ...................

Dear Blog,
                 As I have just celebrated another birthday I am bursting with enthusiasm once more. So I will break an old habit and give you a smidgeon of an answer. The little bloke in the centre with the long sleeved t-shirt under his Coventry Godiva Harriers vest was a long standing friend. He died a couple of months back, TWO DAYS short of his 100th birthday. Happy to say that he would have appreciated the irony of the Queen having already sent him a congratulatory card, which went up in flames at the same time as he did.
I have a stack of stories about him. I will confine myself to one at the moment. My wife and I had moved into our first house having spent a number of years living in a caravan .. NOT a mobile home, but a holiday caravan, 25' by 10' and freezing cold in winter!!!
He generously asked me if I would like his red and black currant bushes (8 of each) as they were well past their best but they would last a couple of years with luck and they would fill a space in my empty new garden. I accepted thankfully. He had had then for ten or twelve years or so.
And did they last me a couple of years. No way, Jose!!!!
When we moved into my dilapidated estate mansion, a decade later, the bushes moved with us!! And now twenty five years later, they are still weighted down with berries each year ... enough for pies and more pies, enough to fill my huge freezer, enough to make enough wine to last the year!!!
So much for his 'couple of years'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
................. and he told me my mini van wanted a decoke after it had done 60,000 miles ... now that is a really good story. Honestly. Worth waiting for.

And talking of wine .. this year's estate crop of grapes has been exceptional. I let you know what my wine teastlesss lik wen  navetessted sum.
                                                               Colin

P.S. Thanks for that wonderful card you didn't send. And what a present??? .... exactly. What, a present? Surely not?  

No comments:

Post a Comment