Wednesday 8 November 2017


String Vest

Photograph no. 2. m.e.:-


Question:- Why would an athlete wear a string vest in the Munich Olympic Marathon in preference to his national vest? How much did the string vest cost in M. & S. in the Coventry shopping precinct in 1972? How much did a packet of felt tips cost from Woollies in the Coventry shopping precinct in 1972? .......... why did the Munich crowd  watching the Olympic Marathon race around the streets of the city go wild shouting 'Vive La France, vive La France' when the string vest went passed them???

Dear Blog, 

                  Combining thoughts of the title above with the topic in my last missive to your good self ...... when I returned from  the Olympic Games in 1972, which incidentally cost me three weeks wages - Blog, I kid you not ..... it cost me seven weeks wages when I ran in the Commonwealth Games; thank you Warwickshire County Council, nowt likeus givin a smidgeon of encouragement??? - I gave my Olympic vest to the friend who's death I reported in my last missive to you. He kept it in pride of place in his glass display cabinet from 1972 until the time of his death in 2017, two days short of his 100th birthday. At his funeral his daughter offered me the vest back, but I told her I had given it to her Dad so it was now her's or her son's if either wanted it. A couple of days later I saw her again and she told me that the family had discussed the destination of my Olympic Vest and they had decided that her Dad would have preferred it to come back to me. I thought that was very sweet of them            and, wait for it Bloggsie,  I could easily still get into it .... In fact, it was the first time I had ever tried an Olympic vest on; Blog, I kid you not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

                                         Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment