Sunday 8 May 2011

Well how did I do???

Photograph Quiz:

Photo no. 21ish:- This fine body of men from the Pink Panther University didn’t realise that a quarter of a century later the place where they are standing would be the start line of an annual international cross country race. Where are they?

Dear Blog,

If you cast your mind back to one of the first contacts we made at the beginning of February when the snow was deep and crisp and even the snowman had frozen snowballs, I mentioned I had 5 aims for the trudge to end all trudges. Well, pinned to my rear, like the notice on the back of a juggernaut, is my own personal plaque ‘How did I do? What’s my trudging like?’ Write your answer on the back of a cheque made out to TinyTims Children’s Centre or Newlife. Reminder. The aims were:-

1.       To finish .... no problem. Not strictly true. At the 3 mile water station, the runner on my left went sprawling full length. As he went down with a thump, he clobbered me, knocking me sideways. I bumped heavily into the two Mexicans on my right who I had latched onto early in the race. I questioned whether it would be a smile or kneecapping for bumping in to them. They smiled! The collision caused problems with my right calf and my right hamstring/thigh. PANIC. How could I not drop out?? I slowed to a flat footed trudge for a couple of miles which seem to solve the calf .. the hamstring/thigh was a different kettle of fish. I cod you not.

2.       To finish without walking ... no problem. Not strictly true. At 25 miles, it would have taken a close video slow replay to determine whether my trudge was a walktrudge or a trudgetrudge.

3.       To finish before it gets too dark ... no problem. The sun was still high in the sky when I finished, or that’s what it looked like from a horizontal position.

4.       To finish in 4hrs 10mins 34secs ... no problem. Time to spare. Not a lot, but time to spare.

5.       To raise a few bob for Tiny Tims and Newlife, the two charities which help disabled children cope more easily  ... Bob? Who’s talking about Bobs. Quids Bloggo Boy. Quids

So its 5 out of 5 and a chip supper for me with all the salt and vinegar trimmings.

Race report next time ... well perhaps not ... unless you send me some of those lovely quids of yours Blog ...

 Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment