Monday 14 May 2012

... and the Leicestershire County Track Championships at Saffron Lane, Leicester May 13th 2012

Yesterday was another beautiful day Blog. One of the joys or trudging on an early Sunday morning is the peace and quiet. No one else was around on the deserted country lanes. Even the M6 which is a couple of miles away hardly creates a drone, the noise from the A45 over the hill is nothing but a slight hum which you would not notice if you were unaware of the road’s presence.
After a shower, it was over to the Saffron Lane Athletics track in Leicester for the second part of the joint county championships; specifically I went over to watch my elder daughter run the 2000m steeplechase. She made a valid point about the event. A couple of years back, the steeple was accepted as an acceptable official recognised event for women, so why is it not part of the Midland Women’s Track League programme? Yes there is usually an open event, but not one where a club can gain points in the league competition. The pathetic excuse is that not many women run the event; tell me all about the chicken and egg please Blog. The League administrators quite happily let a pole vault competition take part for days never ending with a very few women competitors, many of a poor standard. It is quite acceptable for five officials to be occupied for hours and hours and hours while the event painfully proceeds through small centimetre increments as the bar creeps slowly skyward. But will they League administrators grasp the nettle and introduce the steeplechase into the league programme? Will they nelly!!! Another case of weak leadership from England Athletics or whoever implements such things. Anyway my daughter duly got a county medal. The same fate that befell one of the youngsters on Saturday at the water jump happened to the sole competitor in the younger age group race. She fell so badly that an official went to her aid. After a little reassurance to a great roar of encouragement from spectators and competitors, she picked herself up and completed the race. Well done to her. If you flick back through my correspondence to you Blog, you will find a photo of an incident at the Yorkshire Championships at the Huddersfield track the home of Longwood Harriers. The photo was featured in the News of the World, Blog, I kid you not.
Before I left the Leicester track, I went up to have a last look at the crater that was the velodrome to have a little cry by myself. So sad.
Playing roly-poly on the steep grass banking on the back straight, I noticed a red kite in the sky. Now if someone had told me they had seen a red kite in the sky above the city of Leicester, I would have said that they were telling me porkies. If I had told my son in law, who is a keen ornithologist that I had seen a red kite in the sky above the city of Leicester, there is no way that he would have believed me, Blog. A red kite in such circumstances is a nono, with a capital ‘N’. LUCKILY when I saw the red kite in the sky above the city of Leicester I was able to turn to my son in law who was photographing the kids roly-polying down the steep grass banking and say “Look there is a red kite in the sky above the city of Leicester.” My son in law who is a keen ornithologist looked up into the sky above the city of Leicester and confirmed that indeed the bird was a red kite. He told me that if he had he not been there to witness the bird himself, he would not have believed me when I told him that I had seen a red kite in the sky above the city of Leicester. Strange world we live in Bloggy.
From what I said to you last week Blog about the iniquities of some of the mobile home site owners, I was interested to see a huge bill board at the side of the M69 advertising ‘Retirement Homes in a Leisure Park’, sounds so much better than a ‘mobile home park’? Let us hope that the tenents are treated better!
                            Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment