Tuesday 15 May 2012

P.C. Joe O'Brien

Dear Blog,
Today I was given the honour of starting the Joe O’Brien Memorial Race at the War Memorial Park in Coventry, and also of presenting the awards to the various winners afterwards. Nearly 100 police men and women from the local force turned out to honour the memory of Joe. Joe died 30 years ago while on duty.
Joe was a community policeman in Coventry and was knocked down and killed as he marshalled a Fun Run on his patch. The initial trial of the motorist who drove the car into Joe caused a stir at the time and was regarded as a disgrace, the motorist being found not guilty of careless driving but later a different judge made the motorist pay damages to Joe’s widow. He had two children.
Joe was a member of my club Coventry Godiva Harriers. He must have joined a couple of years before me, roundabout 1965. He was a member of the walking section at a time when Godiva was indeed a very strong walking club. He was a regular member of the scoring team, walking at all distances, including competing in events such as the National 20 miles Championships. Usually about the 3:05:00 mark for the ‘20’, which means he was able to walk at a faster pace than I managed to trudge at the London Marathon last year ….. so if you are up there and watched this afternoons race, Joe, think about me in next year’s London and give us a few tips, please.
About 33 years ago, another Godiva Harrier, Jack Selby, who is about to celebrate his 95th birthday was knocked down in a hit and run accident. It was a quiet Saturday morning. Luckily a policeman on his way to work, saw Jack on the ground and saved his life by administering CPR. When I went down to visit Jack in Hospital, walking along the ward to Jack’s bed, who should I pass in another bed, wrapped up like an Egyptian mummy, with eyes bulging and a face (what you could see of it), all the colours of the rainbow, was Joe; a victim of a violent affray in the City. I went to chat with him and he asked what I was doing there. I told him about Jack and said he was a couple of beds away. Not concerned for the state he was in, Joe got the nurses to push him along to see Jack and cheer him up …. It was a toss-up who was in a worse state. But that was the sort of bloke Joe was …  he cared about others.
                                                Colin

1 comment:

  1. Hi Colin,

    I know this post is 8 1/2 years old, however I've only just seen it now. Thanks a lot for sharing the story of Joe. I shared with my Mother (Maureen O'Brien) who hadn't seen this either. I never had the fortune of meeting my Grandad so this is a great insight to him.

    Feel free to email me on joeobrien183@gmail.com if you would like to talk further.

    Thanks again!

    Joe O'Brien

    ReplyDelete