Sunday 10 August 2014

Bikes. blokes and booze






















Photo no 222: As the Allesley Village Festival theme this year was about ‘Countries of the World’ it seemed appropriate that I fly the flag of the country represented by all my scarecrows!!!
Dear Blog,
                  If you remember Blog I started spending all my hard earned pension on stamps so that I could write to you to tell you about my London Marathon Trudge many years ago!!! I trudged round the streets of London to raise some quids for ‘Newlife’  and Tiny  Tims Children’s Centre in Coventry, both charities providing facilities for disable children. I also told you that the charities were chosen by me for the selfish reason that both charities had made life much easier for my disable grandson who has to use a wheelchair.
Well Blog, I am still collecting!!!
Two Fridays ago I was invited to attend a bowling night at a local pub organised by ‘A Coventry Way’ to present a cheque to Tiny Tims Children’s Centre following their successful event last April in which many walkers / runners circumnavigated the city of Coventry on country paths over a distance of forty miles (64 kilometres to you Blog), starting and finishing at the Queen’s Head in Meriden. And yes Blog, my team didn’t win BUT it did come second!!! We woz robbed!!! “My team” refers to the team of bowlers of course, not the team of forty milers!!!!!!
I have given a few talks on ‘Bikes, Blokes and Booze’ to various groups which again raises a few quids for Tiny Tims Children’s Centre. The lectures are very light hearted and based on my tome, ‘The History of Coventry Godiva Harriers and other clubs in the city during the last 140 years’. It is not a boring talk about athletic statistics … and the most satisfying part, apart from the cheque for Tiny Tims Children’s Centre  is when I get the audience laughing!!! If you know of anyone who wants a talk given Blog, let me know and I will trudge along, cost zero … and any expenses given to me for my trouble is passed to the Tiny Tims Children’s Centre!!!
                                             Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment