Saturday 23 August 2014

Calor gas cum Flogas revisited












Photograph:- More Allesley scarecrows Blog (nearly finished!!) On the left, I think is my best effort Blog. It reads ‘The last of this summer’s wine.’
Dear Blog,
   I have been banging on about, the Calor Gas / Flogas suppliers in the last couple of weeks. Well, purely coincidentally, (Blog, I kid you not) during my campervan experience this week, the gas supply ran out and of course, it needed replacing so I could have my nice cups of Yorkshire Tea. The bottle containing the gas slipped nicely into a small purpose build cupboard at the back of the van. It was the first time, since my younger daughter bought the campervan eighteen months ago, that the gas bottle needed replacing.
Fact:- the bottle was a 6kg size, from the Flogas company.
Problem:- Finding a depot that sold Flogas ….. rather a difficult task, Blog, I kid you not. Many miles (kilometres to you Blog) of stop and search, a supplier was found. And Problem:- ‘No sir we do not have a 6kg bottle of Flogas, but we have  7kg bottle of Flogas. I have sold gas for 25 years and this is the first time anyone has come in to the depot to ask for a 6kg bottle of Flogas. [and then the understatement of the year considering his last statement] There is not much demand for them’!!! Another Problem:- ‘The 7kg bottle has a different connection system from the 6kg bottle so you will need an adaptor’ he told me. More quids but O.K. , it would always be useful I thought. He assured me there would be no problem fitting the adaptor …. I had travelled around the countryside by car as the van was no fun to drive on the very narrow country lane where I was camping. So I would have to check his assurance when I got back to the van. Anyways, a little drive around in circles kept the grandkids happy. It was a family break without younger daughter. And Problem Plus :- Back at the van, have bottle, have adaptor, have supply pipe in the small cupboard at the back of the van, and ne’er the twain shall meet. Well prim actually. So thank you to the cakesman Mr Kipling for that.
The happy ending Blog, was that I got all my quids back when the bottle plus the adaptor was returned to the supplier, and, as a bonus, I got my cup of Yorkshire Tea despite having not a whiff of gas because I always carry a Trangia with me for just such an emergency. Being so prepared, I really should have been a Boy Scout as a youngster.
As an after thought Blog. From my last couple of letters to you about gassing, I should not have been surprised how the events unfolded. But, you have to wonder if these companies really think about what they are selling …. Two systems for small bottles of gas …??????? Beggars belief. To kill two birds with one stone (6.35kg to you Blog) I may have to stick to methylated spirits in future. At least it will cut down on my wine bill.
                                  Colin
P.S. Shall I repeat this experience with Calor Gas Blog to see what happens??? No way Jose! B ut it could be the introduction to a popular song
Music maestro please ….
“You say calor gag and I say coal gas.
You  say propane and I say butane.
Propane, butane, propane butane,
Search for a bottle in vain
Lets call the whole thing ……” Sorry Blog. It’s been a long hard week.

No comments:

Post a Comment