Thursday 31 October 2019

   Coventry City of Culture 2021 take 3 and Heritage Week

Photographic Quiz:-
                                  Photo number 209.


So why is this so special? Where is it? I did spend a little time talking to his daughter about it which was interesting.

                       As you know Blog, at the beginning of September, the towns, villages and cities of our great land used to have a weekend called Heritage Weekend, when buildings, normally closed to the public, are thrown open to the great unwashed. Two years back, this weekend was changed to be a week or ten or so days.  I thought it an excellent idea but few organisations complied, instead most just sticking to the one weekend - which was a shame.
                       I did an extensive display four or five years ago in the Coventry Godiva Harriers clubhouse. This room was not big enough for what I wanted and had to cut my display down to 66 (! Blog I kid you not 66!) display boards, as well as table top exhibits and free standing examples. So when the new extended Heritage Week+ was announced, I set about finding a much bigger room. The gym at the Warwick University next to the Godiva Clubhouse and the Coventry Running Track would have been ideal but the University turned me down telling me the gym was required for September re-sits. When I tried to pursue other large University buildings to loan for ten days, it became clear that they regarded me as a pain in the a**e. I tried other companies in Coventry, for example, Seven Trent, but none showed any real enthusiasm. As the council had huge numbers of empty shops I thought that the loan of a large shop although a bit cramped would be better than nothing. The chatter from all the powers that be, is of 'diversifying the High Street' so I thought I might just be on a winner. Something different for the tired shoppers to do while resting between spends??? Not a bit of it. All political sound bites as usual. BUT, B  U  T  .If I paid a nominal rent, there might be a little slack. Pointing out that the Coventry running club consists of totally non paid volunteers, working hard for the benefit of the youngsters in the City, cut no ice … so 'Thankyou Council but no thanks'.
                       Starting canvassing early as usual for a room for next September (2020), I thought Keighley would be a better bet than Coventry. BUT  B  U  T. They must think I am a Nutter upnoweth with a capital 'NUT' as I haven't even had an automatic acknowledgement!!

                       I do spend quite a bit of my own money accumulating artefacts to supplement my notes or to illustrate a particularly interesting point and it would cost neither Coventry nor Keighley a brass farthing for an interactive display about the sporting past of either. I have just splashed out a smidgeon over £50 on three medals to illustrate events at the turn of the century (1903, and the 20s). One nicely illustrates the appearance of Godiva in a National Cross Country Championships for which I have two large photographs. Both are of the start of the National Cross Country Championship race. One is taken about two hundred yards from the start of the race showing the large field charging in the direction of the photographer, and also can be seen at the side of the course, another photographer about one hundred and fifty yards from the off. This photographer is perched on a set of step ladders to obtain a better shot of the proceedings. My second photograph is taken at the same time as the first photo, and is snapped by the second photographer on the steps, believe it or not Blog!!!! … and in both photos local athletes from local clubs can be clearly picked out, about eight of which I can name …. now if that isn't unusual, nay unique, and of interest for anyone with a passing curiosity about local sport, I don't know what is. And now I have a medal as illustration…….  that has to be worth a shop frontage at the time of the Coventry City of Culture 2021, surely????????????

Don't watch this space Blog, because past experience shows that you will be wasting your time!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment