Tuesday 26 April 2011

Medal winner

Photograph Quiz:
Photo no. 19     I my have won this marathon, but why did I get minimal publicity when it was the first ever such event in this country with much interest in the press.
Dear Blog, If you are free tomorrow could you pop over and check the ‘time guesses’ and the money total so far. Subject to what you say, the following are the nearest times.
Three(!!!!! I kid you not) had the same nearest time. 4:05:00. I haven’t been in touch for the last couple of days because I had to go back down to London, to run the same course again (TWICE). The traffic was a real pain! The speed that horse and cart comes out of Buckingham Palace gates; the old fella driving should be banned, if you ask me. And this golden coach parading up and down to the Mall to the Abbey doesn’t cut any ice, it must have cost me about a minute on my third marathon. The organisers had taken down all the mile markers, which through me a bit, and the lack of water stations was most inconsiderate. The crowds were a bit on the sparse side, but I suppose that was because it was Easter and the Londoners had all gone away for the weekend, down to Brighton for the pebbles I expect. Well I got the other times, even if I had to use my own little Times to do the time check. I had sponsors from as far afield as America, so very generous donations, but each and every was gratefully accepted (see the next couple of days)
So ... 4:05:00, 4:05:00, 4:05:00, 4:05:01, 4:05:20, 4:04:01 with perhaps a couple more as the 4:05:01 happened to be a Mrs Christine Oxley of Keighley, who I may have to disqualify ..... Why. You may wonder? Well, Mrs Christine Oxley forty years ago was better known as Miss Christine Kirkham my young sister!!! As nepotism is not allowed under E.C. Rule no. 12343 part B, section ii, she may forfeit her prize subject to appeal and what my mother has to say on the matter.
4:04:01 is Jack Pokoj of Coventry (!!), 4:05:20 is C.Taylor of Halesowen, 4:05:01 is sisterkins, 4:05:00 is Chris and Brenda Dowd of Newcastle (Staffs), 4:05:00 is Helen Sutherland of Birmingham but the closest on count back is the third youngest sponsor, Sian Rainsley of Coventry ... not only of Coventry but of Allesley where I live ... not only of Allesley where I live but about 600 yards from where I live. Now this is a bit suspicious.  Has Sian been peeking behind the curtain watching each of my trudges? Has she seen me stagger back??? Sian gets my MEDAL. Well done to you and well done to everyone.
I’ll tell you next time about the £1000 plus Blog ... there should be a comma in there some where I feel.
Colin
P.S. I will be in touch with the nearest guesses to see what they want of my wonderful array of London Marathon gifts ... don’t get too excited!!!      

No comments:

Post a Comment