Thursday 21 April 2011

A message from a mate

Well, Blog, I am rather proud this morning. Why? I have had a personal e-mail from Dick, congratulating me on my London Marathon Trudge. I am touched that he took the trouble to write to me personally – he must be a very busy man with all kinds of demands on his time, especially now when he has to make sure all those barriers, flags, tables etc. are collected in safely and put back into his garden shed, ready to be used again next year. I don’t know how he has the time to organise this London run thing when he has so much else to do, flying those big planes here there and everywhere, selling insurance, running his gramophone record shops, organising holidays, giving away all those condoms. I suppose when he blows his balloon up and takes off, it gives him some time to himself, up there in the atmosphere where the air is clear, time to reflect, time to dash off a few e-mails to his mates, mates like me; I feel I can call him a mate after he has contacted me personally about my trudge. I don’t think I know him well enough to bring up the problem I have with the soft drinks he makes. I think he is green. I will take him to task in the future as our friendship develops. How can he be green, worry about the globe getting hotter with all this carbon oxide stuff, when he makes cans of drinks and pumps them full of the gas. Each hiss from the tab when opening a can must be adding to the global total, don’t you think? Shall we organise a campaign together Blog? We could write banners ‘Ban the Can’, ‘Step off the Gas’, ‘Say Nola to Cola’ – I rather like that one, got a certain ring pull about it? Talking of slogans and banners, Chris who sponsored me for Tiny Tims Children’s Centre and Newlife, said she hoped it was ‘Not too hot to trot’. Brilliant. Why couldn’t you, Blog, come up with something catchy like that to help liven our correspondence?? You are a waste of cyber space, sometimes. I still feel proud that Dick wrote to me however. So much so that I will make a mental note that he invited me to trudge again next year. He did not say how many days in a hotel the invitation included, or whether it would be full board; he will probably write again with more details nearer the time. In anticipation, I have to rethink my strategy; I must upgrade the status of my preparation for 2012 from trudge level to jog level. I mentioned to you before about how I used to train, taking a different approach to the usual methods. Well after Sunday, I was curious to see if the old methods still applied to recovery ... I was a little surprised to see that they are still as efficient. I know the trudge was a smidgen  slower than when I were a lad, but I was 90% OK yesterday, trudging reasonably and today no problems, no sign of my trudge, simply flying down the Lane!  Reminded me of the time I did two marathons in six days. Ah yes, I remember it well. Must go now, have to organise the stuff to give away, the winning guesses, the thank yous .......
                              Yours, upping the gears to a jog, Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment